Saturday, April 25, 2009

Day 1 and 2 in Guatemala

Purpose of the Blog
The purpose of this blog is to document my trip to Mazatenango, Guatemala for two reasons. 1) So my family and friends can follow what I am doing down here and 2) To help me write a report on my trip for BYU. I will try to keep a balance between the technical/business side of what we are doing and the interesting/personal side.

Purpose of the Trip
As this is the first post, I will also discuss the purpose of my trip to Mazatenango (it is going to be a long post...sorry!). Me and a friend of mine from school, Tim Hart, were selected for a mini internship with the Cause for Hope. Please take a look at their web site:
http://www.causeforhope.org/
We will be working with the Mazatenango manager to help teach business classes, write business plans, and help people start businesses, including micro-finance loans (think perpetual education fund for starting businesses). See the programs at the following link:
http://www.causeforhope.org/programs.htm
http://www.causeforhope.org/mazatenango.htm

The Trip
Yesterday (Friday) we flew from SLC to Houston and then to Guatemala City. We arrived after 9:00 pm. President Donis, the stake president from Mazatenango and also the Manager of the Cause for Hope in Mazatenango, was there waiting for us and drove us to Hotel Aeropuerto. We stayed the night and took off for Mazatenango early this morning. We arrived in Mazatenanto around 10:30 am and got our stuff loaded in to our office/apartment. The place where we are stying is actually pretty nice.

After we got our stuff loaded in, we headed off to see the Center of Mazatenango where we also ate a pretty tasty Guatemalan lunch. We then got some cash, Quetzales (exchange rate is about 8 Quetzales to 1 US dollar), and then picked up some groceries.

Digging the Well
After that, we headed off to Reu, a local town about 40 minutes away, to attempt to dig a well. The idea is that if we can do it, we can then interview candidates and find someone who could dig wells as a business. He would need to hire a few other guys so it would be great for what we are trying to accomplish. There are some pretty cheap tools you can use to dig a well and the materials to build it, including building a hand pump, are fairly inexpensive. We worked at digging the well for about 2 hours and got down about 4 to 5 feet. It was very rocky so it was tough work. We figure we need to get down about 5 meters or 15 feet to have a successful well. We will head back over there on Tuesday or Wednesday to see if we can get any deeper. (On a side note, I read a book about well digging on the plane in preparation. According to the book, well digging is a great way to build self-esteem and can be as fun as laying lenoluem!)


It was funny to see the reactions of the people in Reu as we walked around looking at a couple of existing wells to get a feel for how deep they are, etc. Our group consisted of President Donis and his assistant, the Manager of the Reu office and his assistant, Tim Evans, the Director of Operations for the Cause for Hope, Tim Hart and myself. I guess we looked pretty important walking through their little town because everyone started following us around. They then stayed and watched as we attempted to dig the well. There were some pretty cute little kids playing with kites made out of newspaper (that flew surprising well). I joked around with the people in between my turns on the auger. They are really humble, sweet people.

Mazatenango
Mazatenango (and Guatemala in general) is extremely poor. I am shocked at the living conditions of most of the people. It appears that most homes are not fully enclosed. There is garbage everywhere and it smells horrible. I don't say this to bag on Guatemala. It is just sad to see people living in these conditions and it humbles me to see how much we are blessed in the United States. It makes me respect our county and what we have been able to accomplish that much more.

Other
  • Drivers here are CRAZY (I thought Utah was bad)
  • This is the most humid place I have every been
  • The fruit here is GOOD
  • This place has the worst smell ever and it doesn't go away!
  • I've never seen so much garbage and filth in my life
  • Spanish is HARD (I am already doing a lot better but I have forgotten muchisimo!)
  • Coca Cola dominates this area
  • There are stray, sickly, skinny dogs everywhere
  • I miss my wife and kids!

41 comments:

  1. Yay for your first post! It was so fun to actually see pictures of what you've been telling me about! Can't wait to see more of the Guatemalan people and kids, and the city and streets. Keep working hard, you are making a difference!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I updated the first post...take a look again. Thanks for the encouragement honey. I love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, that is good, I liked that last part. Good to hear about everyday life and conditions of the country and people. So interesting! Smells like clean rain here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ryan:
    I am so glad you have this little blog! I feel like I am there - but without having to smell the garbage! What a great opportunity to serve. You are a good man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for another blog to follow! I love seeing whatceveryone is doing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. earthquake? Sickness? Waters of Mormon?

    You better be careful or this trip will turn into one of those cheesy, church missionary movies..."Other side of Mazatenango"...I can feel it already..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ryan,

    My name is Lorenzo Trujillo and I am the owner of mezzo investors,LLC in albuquerque NM. I am interested in your work out in Guatemala and want to learn more. I am planning on heading over to Guatemala in about 4 months to do some market research regarding the housing deficit among the poor. I too want to invest in the future of the poor in Guatemala by providing sustainable state of the art housing through green design and affordability. I want to give the poor access to all the amenities that you and I enjoy here in the states. I created a corporation called Critical Mass Structures Inc that will design and develop and potentially finance structures for consumers at the lower bottom of the economic pyramid. I too was astonished by conditions in which these people live and figured that most Guatemalan people need more options to deal with the cards that were dealt to them. I will be working diligently on getting out there to help you and others engage in this opportunity to give back to humanity. My business model is strong and the confidence is high. I'm not sure how long you will be out there but I do look forward to meeting you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hyundai is one of the largest auto manufacturers in the world. Founded in 1996, the company offers a variety of new and used Hyundai cars for customers to have a car of their own at affordable prices. Introduction of latest and improved technology models, such as Santro, i10, i20, Getz, Accent, Verna, Sonata, Tucson Tax give really a tough competition to other companies operating in the automobile market. As per the surveys, every month more than 500 new and used Hyundai cars are sold in India.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Needed to compose you a tiny note to finally thank you very much yet again for your personal splendid methods you have discussed above. It is strangely open-handed with people like you to provide publicly all that a number of people would have marketed as an electronic book to generate some bucks for their own end, primarily now that you could possibly have tried it if you ever wanted. These inspiring ideas likewise acted like a fantastic way to know that the rest have the same dreams really like my personal own to see a whole lot more concerning this problem. I’m sure there are thousands of more enjoyable times in the future for many who check out your blog.
    Father's Day Occasion Speech

    ReplyDelete
  10. Howdy, I think your blog may be having internet browser compatibility issues. When I take a look at your site in Safari, it looks fine however, when opening in IE, it's got some overlapping issues. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Aside from that, excellent site! Best Captions

    ReplyDelete
  11. I must thank you for the efforts you have put in penning this website. I really hope to check out the same high-grade blog posts from you later on as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get m own, personal website now ;) best football tipster sites

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good job on this article! I really like how you presented your facts and how you made it interesting and easy to understand. Thank you. Happy Friendship Day Jokes And Riddles

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is very interesting, You are a very skilled blogger. I have joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your great post. Also, I have shared your site in my social networks! Urdu Poetry

    ReplyDelete
  14. We’re a bunch of volunteers and opening a brand new scheme in our community. Your site provided us with helpful info to paintings on. You have done an impressive job and our entire group might be grateful to you.
    Why didnt I think about this? I hear exactly what youre saying and Im so happy that I came across your blog.
    apk downloader blackberry

    ReplyDelete
  15. sometimes skinny jeans are not comfortable to wear, i would always prefer to use loos jeans`
    I love the valuable info you supply in your posts. I will remember this.

    tambayan pinoy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Many business owners are burned out, stressed, bored with their business, and ready to move on. Do you recognize any of these 9 common signs that it's time to sell your business? Do you have a comprehensive exit strategy in place to help you if and when you DO decide to sell? In this article, a well-known business acquisition expert tells blue sky financial what to watch out for when you think you might be ready to sell your business.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Before a small business begins the process of looking for a buyer for their business; they must first understand why they want to sell the business. I typically hear retirement for the main reason but I also see partner disputes, estate planning, burn out, and to many other interests. Whatever the reason a convert money online business seller must commit to a process once that decision to sell is made.

    ReplyDelete
  18. An online business directory is a website submission service that allows your small business's website to be added to a specific category where it can be searched for by interested visitors. These searchable online directories allow their visitors to search for websites and businesses that they find interesting or that they want to learn more about. Listing your small business on an online directory increases your website's visibility on the web and helps to create inbound links to your business' website. Online directories make it easy for people to find what they are looking for. All they have to do is jump online, which means https://autocad.buycheapcad.com/autocad-map-3d.html people could find your business' website from their home, office or even while traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Small business' aversion to hire staff due to limited financial resources, time to train new staff stifles business growth. Government created and funding tangible, practical help for business, particularly small business and entrepreneurs. cinema 4d r20 download

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the look of your website. I recently built mine and I was looking for some ideas for my site and you gave me a few. May I ask you whether you developed the website by youself? mastercam for solidworks 2017

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the look of your website. I recently built mine and I was looking for some ideas for my site and you gave me a few. May I ask you whether you developed the website by youself? mastercam for solidworks 2017

    ReplyDelete
  22. i had invested in a cleaning business and of course, this is a great business:: CheapSoft4you

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for the sensible critique. Me & my cousin were just preparing to do a little research about this. We grabbed a book from our local library but I think I learned more from this post. I am very glad to see such great info being shared freely out there… 먹튀검증

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good, i’ve got to assert that the producing skills not which unhealthy, yet i can also you can actually improve ones own publishing knowledge. Implementing reduced thoughts to mention the actual. You’ll check out search engine just for making skills schooling website and applications. 먹튀사이트

    ReplyDelete
  25. Investing in the Crypto Currency market space can be a little daunting for the traditional investor, as investing directly in Crypto Currency (CC) requires the use of new tools and adopting some new concepts. At Crypto Trend we will continue to provide information and guidance, so if you do decide to dip your toes in this market, you will have a very good idea of what to do and what to expect. trade bitcoin

    ReplyDelete
  26. The purpose of this article is give you tips and strategies to help you with your new business. Although 80 percent of all new businesses fail, it's not usually due to lack of funding. It's usually comes down to knowledge, experience and leadership. Qubittech

    ReplyDelete
  27. Do you plan to start your first business venture soon? Then this article will give you some pointers on whether to use franchise or conventional business model as your first business venture. earn bitcoin for free

    ReplyDelete
  28. เหล็กดัดเชียงใหม่ ( chiangmai Wrought iron ) รับติดตั้ง ประตูเหล็กดัด เหล็กดัดหน้าต่าง เหล็กดัดอิตาลีเชียงใหม่ มุ้งลวดเหล็กดัด มุ้งจีบ งานกระจก อลูมิเนียม กันสาด ทุกรูปแบบ ประตูเหล็กดัดเชียงใหม่

    ReplyDelete
  29. If you are looking to buy a truck, trailer or any other commercial vehicle for your business, this handbook will help you in choosing the most suitable truck and the right truck financing arrangement. Also, it will explain you the benefits of employing the services of an expert finance broker. need 1 000 dollars fast from UnitedFinances.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Why Factoring might be the perfect solutions for your working capital financing challenges. Information on accounts receivable finance for Canadian business owners and how cash flow financing can solve working capital challenges. تداول العملات

    ReplyDelete
  31. So you have an affiliate business but it's not really delivering. You persist anyway out of stubbornness to all those people who told you to give up! In the back of your mind you catch yourself thinking "Am I wasting my time with this?". 5paisa review

    ReplyDelete
  32. https://ryan-mazatenango.blogspot.com/2009/04/in-guatemala.html?showComment=1524035734469#c7337891145074699772

    ReplyDelete
  33. How Your Firm Can Qualify And Access P O Trade finance;Information on how Canadian business owners and financial managers can access purchase order financing. How P O Finance works in the Canadian trade finance arena. News on cryptocurrency

    ReplyDelete
  34. Took me awhile to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! I’m sure you had fun writing this article. link building services uk

    ReplyDelete
  35. Have you ever been interested in how a company starts? Look no further, this article will explain the basic principles of business foundation. prize bond schedule

    ReplyDelete
  36. INTRODUCTION - Perhaps I should start by asking the question "What is a Home Based Business? This is any business operated from the comfort of the residential home of the owner. berita sumut terkini

    ReplyDelete
  37. In today's article, I'm going to quickly inform you about the Cisco IOS privileged EXEC mode command named "clear crypto datapath." CCNA's (like you) use the "clear crypto datapath" command to clear the counters or error history buffers in an encrypted network. Crypto trading bot

    ReplyDelete
  38. cheers for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, could you mind updating your blog with more information? as it is extremely useful for me. Novi Zeland ETA

    ReplyDelete
  39. Business incubators are organizations that nurture the development and growth of businesses in the early phases to help them persevere in their most vulnerable stages. Incubators provide numerous resources and support services to aid in the development of businesses. The general purpose of incubators is job creation, business retention, enhancing entrepreneurial climate, growing local industries and economies. 9ja news

    ReplyDelete
  40. The emergence of cryptocurrency is already taking over in our daily transactions. Cryptocurrency is a digital asset that exists in the crypto world with many referring to it as ''digital gold''. But what really is cryptocurrency? You must be wondering. stablecoin for euro

    ReplyDelete
  41. If like me, you have ever wondered whats behind the game servers you play on and how they truly work you may find this informational article very interesting. In this first part article I will tell you how game server hosting came about and what it took to get the online gaming world running. free to play games

    ReplyDelete