Thursday, April 30, 2009

Day 6 and 7

Sick
I started to get sick yesterday morning. However, I thought I started to feel a little better in the afternoon. But yesterday evening, I started to feel sick again. Because of this, I took what I call a “bug bomb” or a pill that is supposed to kill parasites. I don’t know if I just got sicker or if this is how the parasite pill is supposed to work but I got REALLY SICK. I was in the bathroom all night last night (we’ll leave it at that). Fever, achy, weak, dizzy, lightheaded, sweating like crazy. I soaked through my pillow. I woke up extremely weak. I drank Gatorade and finally ate a cup of noodles at 2:30 pm. It appears the worst has passed…we’ll see how tonight goes. My kids think I have the pig flu.

Five Forces
I have to start by saying that any of my fellow MBA classmates are going to laugh at this. But one of our jobs here is to train the local office on how to train the businesses for success and how to decipher a good business plan from a mediocre or bad business plan. From the work we have done, it appears that there are a few businesses that probably shouldn’t have been started in the first place. To help manager in deciding which businesses to fund, we put together a presentation of the five forces. Well, Tim did most of the presentation since I was sick but I also gave input throughout. We also used the five forces to analyze a business plan that was just received by the office as well as a couple of the businesses that already exist. The presentation was a big hit. It was obvious that the manager will be able to use this tool to greatly enhance his ability to analyze business plans. We also spent some time discussing how you he can help existing businesses correct some of their deficiencies through the five forces.

Business in a Box

One of the things we would like to do is create a business in a box. This would be a business that we create that would be turn-key for a local entrepreneur to start. Then we would “microfranchise” it to other offices in the Cause for Hope. Any ideas?

Consulting
We visited various businesses over the last couple of days. Yesterday we visited La Blanca Carniceria, El Comedor Fidelina, and Granadizadas las delicias (a butcher, a prepared lunch little shop, and a mobile snow cone stand). Today we visited VIP, an upscale car stereo and speaker shop selling Pioneer, Infinity, etc. that is imports from the US as well as car alarms and cell phones. We also visited with Venta de Llaves (Sales of Tools...very creative business name) and spent some time brainstorming various ideas for businesses we have visited as well as for the office and the foundation.

Other
  • Tim calls the cockroach, Cookie la cucaracha and Tim visits him each night during his midnight snack and they carry on conversations…it’s a weird relationship
  • I think I got sick from McDonalds, go figure…
  • Imodium, Pepto and 7-up are my new best friends
  • There was a lady carrying a live rooster down the street…
  • It rained four or five times harder today than any rain I have ever seen
  • The culture gap is huge between the US and Guatemala
  • Not having TV is kind of nice…but I am missing the NBA playoffs!
  • Thank goodness for google video chat
  • Guatemalans are not too worried about time...
  • We drove to San Francisco (they call it San Pancho) and Samayak today

7 comments:

  1. LOL...first of all, I just have to say that the lady with the rooster might just be my favorite picture yet! And I love that old dude running his, "Sale of Tools" business.
    Looks like you guys are working hard, and have SO much work to do! Keep going, they need your help!
    I'm so sorry you've been sick and I worry about you! The kids really do think you have the pig flu and pray that you will get better soon. I hope the worst is over for you!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All your experiences are so interesting to read about. We are enjoying reading your different accounts each day (except that you have been sick) and seeing the pictures. The streets look unique, that's for sure. We are so glad you are feeling better. The silver and acidophilus would have been two things you could have really used down there. Keep up the good work, and don't get the "pig" flu! We love you lots and are so proud of you! Love, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you got sick. Hope the feeling better stays for the rest of the trip.
    I love the lady with the rooster....I wouldn't have thought a rooster would be that calm while being carried.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you click on the picture and look closer, you will see the rooster's legs are tied up. Otherwise, I'm sure it would be a different story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do any of the common people there have computers? What are the banks like int he community? Do people have credit cards or checking accounts? Just gathering information so that I can make some good suggestions for your Business in a Box franchise idea. I love that idea! Do people have much money to spend on wants, rather than just their needs?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some people have computers but it is pretty rare. The banks seem pretty normal. I have used the ATM a couple of times...exactly the same as the US (only more security...armed guard right there). Not sure about checking accounts but I know some people have credit cards so I'm sure there is checking too. There are definitely classes (upper, middle, lower) but they are all lower (middle class doesn't have much) and the lower class is very big. Overall, not much to spend on wants. Most are lucky to fill needs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, inquiring minds want to know. Does Tim Hart's hair stay in place in third world counties?

    ReplyDelete